Prepare raw Flexpa-sourced FHIR data for structured analysis with Tuva
FHIR resources obtained from , while useful on their own,
are even more useful when they can be analyzed for powerful insights for your business. Flexpa API
Our API returns raw FHIR data, which is in JSON format. To use this data in popular analytics tools and
platforms and perform analysis, it must be pre-processed and turned into structured data appropriate
for relational databases that remain consistent as the amount of data you work with grows.
The Tuva Project is a new set of open-source tools that makes it easier to
derive insights from the kind of data that we unlock at Flexpa. Specifically, Tuva helps you transform raw
healthcare data (FHIR, CCLF, etc.) into quality-tested data that can be used for analysis.
With Flexpa and Tuva working together, you can easily query user-consented health data, and easily transform
that raw health information into structured data that can be stored in your database.
What you can do
Both and Tuva's FHIR connector can be used to Flexpa API
- quickly obtain raw FHIR resources
- pre-process that data into a common data model - the Tuva data model
- store that data in a database, or data warehouse like Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery
In order to complete this guide, you'll need FHIR data.
- Complete our quickstart guide. This will get you familiar with API and Link and will set you up to query
- This guide will use data made available in the sandbox environments listed in our test mode guide.
Be sure you can successfully query for resources such as
- To obtain live patient data, you'll need to create an organization, and secure a publishable and secret
key through our portal
Make sure you have the following tools installed:
The FHIR connector requires specific setup that's covered in the repositories README.
Order of operations
- Go through our quickstart guide and query at least one FHIR bundle from one of our supported sandbox endpoints
- Use the Tuva FHIR connector to process those resources into the Tuva data model
- Place the CSV output(s) into a database, or data warehouse of your choosing
See the API documentation or follow one of our guides for more information on requesting users' health data.